The Metropolitan Atlanta Community Band (MACB) is excited to announce its concert celebrating 25 years of serving metro Atlanta; the state of Georgia; and, on occasion, locations as far away as Washington, DC.
You are invited to:
MACB 25th Anniversary Concert
- Date: Sunday, May 7, 2023
- Time: 5 pm – 7 pm (Eastern Time)
- Location: Southwest Arts Center, 915 New Hope Road SW, Atlanta, Georgia 30331-7235
- Admission – Free
- There will be a reception after the concert so you can enjoy light refreshments and meet the musicians.
- To provide cultural enrichment to the communities that the Metropolitan Atlanta Community Band (MACB) serves.
- To provide opportunities for continued music performance and musical growth of our members.
- To advocate for music education in public schools.
- To provide scholarships to deserving prospective high school graduates.
The Metropolitan Atlanta Community Band (MACB) was founded in October 1996 by Dr. Alfred D. Wyatt, Sr., renowned music educator with the Atlanta Public Schools. He chose Mr. Curtis Byrdsong, also a longtime Atlanta music educator, as associate director. Rehearsals began in the Benjamin E. Mays High School band room with twenty-five musicians in attendance. Because of widespread interest in a community band based in Southwest Atlanta, membership has tripled since that time.
The band’s participants and associates are all volunteers. Band members represent a diverse body of amateur and professional musicians from all walks of life—white collar, blue collar, and retirees.
MACB’s debut performances took place in December 1996 at Greenbriar Mall in Southwest Atlanta and South DeKalb Mall in Decatur, Georgia. Since that time, the band has made more than 200 appearances. Probably the most notable were performances at the Martin Luther King, Jr., Memorial and the Air Force Memorial in Washington, DC, during Memorial Day weekend of 2015. Other highlights include:
- Alpha Kappa Alpha international convention
- Festival of Trees, Georgia World Congress Center
- Atlanta City Hall lunchtime concert
- Joint performance with the 116th Army National Guard Band
- Atlanta Summer Concerts in the Park series
- East Point Fourth of July celebration
- Joint performances with the Wendell Whalum Community Chorus
- Annual Christmas concerts at Greenbriar Mall
MACB has also performed at many other venues, from city concert halls to churches to elementary schools. We consider ourselves the hardest working community band in show business!
From the beginning of MACB, performances were free and will remain free until MACB no longer exists. However, donations are accepted for the band scholarship program. MACB believes in the value of music education and, therefore, strongly advocates for music education in public schools. The band also awards college scholarships to musically talented, graduating high school seniors who have been accepted to a college or university.
Throughout its history, MACB has made a unique musical and cultural contribution to Southwest Atlanta and South Fulton County, as well as to the entire metropolitan area and the state of Georgia.
Last updated on March 27, 2023